Paul’s main areas of work are:
Commercial Law/Business Matters
Paul commenced his legal career in Palmerston North in the mid 1990s and comes full circle with his return to the Manawatu region in 2020. He’s enthusiastic to be part of a firm that is community and client-centric and which is committed to growing and evolving to meet its clients’ needs both within and beyond the Manawatu region.
Paul’s experience spans across corporate and commercial work, buy/sell transactions, capital raisings, joint-ventures and corporate governance. He brings a cross-jurisdictional perspective having practised overseas for close to 20 years working closely with boards and legal in-house teams of European and US headquartered multi-nationals. Paul’s insights include ‘best-practices’ of a number of well-known global brands across a variety of sectors including agri-business, financial services, technology, media and entertainment, government, manufacturing and professional services.
LLB (Victoria University)
Admitted to the bar
- Mid-Market Group| Industry: Govt (AUS): Advising on a series of acquisitions of complementary businesses and advising the board on a variety of Federal government programs and contracts in the work, training, education and disability space.
- Mid-Market | Industry: Agri-business (AUS): Advising Australia’s largest independent wool broker on a series of acquisitions, joint ventures and divestment transactions and providing corporate governance advice to its board.
- Global| Industry: Technology (AUS/NZ/UK/Canada): Acting on the sale of a NZ/Australian software solutions group to Constellation Software Inc., a major Canadian listed acquirer and manager of vertical market software businesses.
- Private | Entertainment: Rolling Loud (AUS/USA): Rolling Loud is the world’s biggest hip hop festival – in conjunction with Rolling Loud US Paul advised the Australian arm of Rolling Loud on the staging of its inaugural Australian hip-hop festival event in Sydney in 2019.
- Mid-Market | Industry: Events (UK/AUS): Advising leading UK based global events company Terrapinn on the acquisition of multiple Sydney and Melbourne event/exhibitions companies in the accounting and financial services industry.
- Co-op |Industry: Agri/Food (Sweden/Denmark/AUS): Lantmännen Unibake is owned by Lantmännen (Sweden) an agricultural cooperative of over 25000 Swedish farmers, and is a global leader in bakery products. Advised Lantmännen on the acquisition of a bakery business in Melbourne representing a key strategic move for Lantmännen’s expansion into the Australian market and on its business integration needs including localising its commercial contracts and advising on its arrangements with Australia’s two largest supermarket retailers.
- Global leader |Industry: Automotive/Rubber - Continental AG (Germany/AUS/Malaysia/USA): Advising global German automotive manufacturing company, Continental AG on a succession of acquisitions of complementary businesses in Australia including the strategically significant railway engineering specialist Vulcanite. The acquisition enabled Continental AG to secure major metro transit contracts in San Francisco, Washington and New York.
- Euro-Leader | Industry: Fuel (Germany/AUS/NZ): Advising German engineering refueling equipment specialist Elaflex on its investments in certain fueling technology businesses across Australia and New Zealand.
- Private | Industry: Hotel/Construction (AUS/China): Advising Sydney based hotel construction company on its management buyout and subsequent capital raisings.